Ways to Give

Make a gift through your IRA

Your retirement plan is likely a significant portion of your net worth. Due to special tax considerations, you could use your plan to make a current gift. An IRA charitable rollover, also called a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD), from an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) helps you donate funds without counting them as income.

If you are at least 70 ½, you can make a distribution of up to $100,000 to The Foundation for New Hampshire Community Colleges and the distributed amount is excluded from your gross income for federal income tax purposes. In addition, the distribution will count towards your required minimum distribution amount for the tax year.

For the distribution to count as a QCD, the trustee of your IRA must transfer the funds directly to The Foundation (the distribution cannot be made to you first).

 As with all charitable giving, we encourage you to seek guidance about your specific circumstances with your financial or tax advisor.  The IRS also provides additional useful information about Qualified Charitable Distributions on its website.

Looking for more ways to give?


Tim Allison
Executive Director